Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Poor? We never knew..

Before I move onto my fourth grade disaster, I want to tell you a few things of my life before then.

When we were growing up, we never knew we didn't have any money. My mom was a stay-at-home mom for most of our lives although she did dabble in things like Home Interiors (she was very good at it) and she did the home decorating section in JcPenny's. My dad was going to school to become a M.D. and he was also a musician. That's actually how my parents met. My dad was playing in one of the local bars and my mom was a waitress there... After some glances across the bar and some flirting, they hit it off. So back to my dad going to school and singing. He played for quite a few events and I remember going to many of them. At most of them, my sister and I would go up to complete strangers there and started dancing with them. We were always like the little mascots of where ever we went. It was so much fun. He was going to school at the U of M in Duluth. I remember going to a few of his classes. My little sister even got an honorary UMD cloth diaper when she was an infant. We lived in a beautiful country house.. or at least we thought. It was a little run down, but it had enough room for everyone. We made it home. Sometime in 3rd grade, one of our big huge dogs that had been shot passed away. He had been such an awesome family dog. The bullets had finally moved into his organs and he had been coughing up blood and finally went. Shortly thereafter, we were getting ready to go camping for the weekend. There was a terrible thunder and lightening storm, so my dad put the other dog into a junk car we had. In the morning, we were finishing up packing up when my dad remembered the dog. When he didn't come back for a long time, we all got anxious. We then found out that he had forgotten to crack a window and our beloved family dog died in his sleep. It was probably for the best, for he also had many internal injuries from being shot.

I was a serious daddy's girl. Everywhere he went, I wanted to go to. When he was studying, I wanted to help. I seriously believed that I could do his math homework. He rarely got short with us... except with my sister and my room. It was a pigsty and he would let us know it. He was a dark, tall and handsome man. He was one of the most beautiful men I have ever known...and he knew it. The women loved him. When we were little, he was a very unique father. He would take each one of us out on a special day with daddy. We would go to the park or out to eat at our local Perkins. It was a time to really get to spend one on one time with him. When I was about 8, I started having insomnia. He would grab his guitar, start playing and sing me to sleep. When that stopped working, he would help me meditate to fall asleep. As I said, I was daddy's girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment